Flicker and learning rate?

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Jan 26 10:07:33 EST 1995

The following message may be of interest to the group.
I would like feedback on David's question.
Ron Blue

From: David Poling <David_Poling at ccm.jf.intel.com>
To: x011 at ns1.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Subject: COP and frame rate in VR

     Hi Ron:)
     I've been applying COP theory to various perceptual phenomena and it seems
     to explain them very well.  One of these phenomena, the barfogenic
     zone(descriptive, eh?), occurs in a virtual reality simulation with
     low frame rates for the screen update.  Smooth  motion is perceived
     when the frame rate is at ~30hz.  The barfogenic zone is a range of
     frame rate values between 12-20hz or so(I haven't found the article
     I read describing this zone yet).  In this zone, most people seem to
     get severely nauseated and often lose their cookies so to speak:)
     This frequency range also appears to correlate with the BETA brainwave
     state.  What about finding an optimum frequency(frame rate) to display
     information that would improve a person's ability to absorb and
     remember that info...
     Do you think it's possible?
           C-ya,
           David Poling
           vmfx at teleport.com

                                       VMFX
                           "We design the world for you!"
                      *Virtual Environments* *VR System Design*
                            *Animation* *Graphic Design*

           10902 SW 63rd Ave, Portland, OR 97219, Phone:(503)977-3551