novice interest

cc3265 at albnyvms.bitnet cc3265 at albnyvms.bitnet
Sun Jan 29 18:20:40 EST 1995

In article <3ggmee$4ep at ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>, roydon at ix.netcom.com (Leroy Higdon) writes:
>Can anyone advise reading material conserning new or ongoing research
>in the area of genetic influences on the mechanics of information
>storage and retreval in the human brain?

You might be interested in a book titled "The Adaptive Mind", edited
by JH Barkow (1992).  It contains several articles on possible
evolved mechanisms of mind.  I don't know if this is quite what you
want, but I found it a very interesting book.  I agree that there
*should* be a genetic influence on behavior, if one accepts the mind
as part of the brain, which is subject to the laws of biology like
any other organ.  However, it is unlikely to be a matter of simple
Mendelian genetics (one gene, one trait), but probably a very complicated
polygenic situation, very vulnerable to environmental influence.  The
example you gave of a family of musicians is a case in point:  why
could environmental influence not be the case here, when the growing
child is surrounded from birth by musicians and the love of music?
What you'd really want to know is whether a child of musicians, adopted
at birth by non-musicians, would still turn out to be musically inclined.