photic stim, quacks, neuroscientists wanted in Boston

Lester Ingber ingber at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 30 14:10:27 EST 1995

In article <3g97jt$bp4 at satisfied.elf.com>, Xochi Zen <x at elf.com> wrote:
:
:	A lot of the mind machine producers seem to assume that there are
:	specific states of consciousness / psychological states that
:	correspond to particular brain-wave rhythms - i.e. alpha, theta,
:	delta - they _especially_ love theta - associating it with bursts
:	of creative insight, hypnogic imagery, etc. Are there any text books
:	I could read that would explain things like EEG, brain-waves and
:	their correlation to states of consciousness responsibly? Apparently,
:	very little is known regarding how psychological states are
:	mediated at the physiological level. Are there any articles I might
:	find that would demonstrate/mention this? Which researchers today
:	are doing responsible work on how psychological states are
:	mediated at the physiological level? Are there any researchers
:	here living in the Boston area who would consent to be interviewed
:	about all of this? As you may already know, I'm working on an article
:	on "mind machines" from a skeptical perspective. Hutchison's popular
:	book _Megabrain_ has given people a lot of wrong ideas about
:	human consciousness, and I'd like to disabuse folks of some of
:	these ideas. Many thanks.
:
:								- Xochi
:
:--
:                              <------------------------------------->
:|                             | "We should not act and speak as if  |
:|                             |  we were asleep." --- Heraclitus    |
:|                             |_____________________________________|

I think that one of the most current texts that confronts some of these
issues is
%A P.L. Nunez
%B Neocortical Dynamics and Human EEG Rhythms
%I Oxford University Press
%C New York, NY
%D 1995
which should be out later this year.  In my archive in my signature
are some papers which overlap with my chapter in this book.  In
directory /pub/ingber/MISC.DIR the file nunez95_preface.txt gives the
(draft) preface to the book by Paul Nunez.

Lester

--
/* Prof. Lester Ingber                                                *
 * Lester Ingber Research           E-Mail: ingber at alumni.caltech.edu *