motor neurone disease

Lyn Frumkin lrfrum at
Sun Jul 16 06:08:37 EST 1995

: that the Neurology dept. is extensively involved in motor control, and the
: Anatomy/Physiology depts. of the University are doing some research into
: peripheral motor/spinal motor systems.  If they aren't specifically doing what
: you are asking for, maybe they can point you in the right direction.  Good
: Luck, I hope you find what you need.

: Andrew Ray
: Emory Neuroscience Program
: aray at emory.ed

The term "motor neuron disease" is used synonymous with the disease
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [also called Lou Gehrig's disease or ALS]. As
such, motor neuron disease ["ALS"] is both a central and peripheral
process clinically involving progressive weakness without sensory deficits
and involving degeneration of corticospinal tracts and/or anterior horn
cells and/or bulbar nuclei. Although I am not aware of what clinical trials are
ongoing in Australia, there are a number of trials in the US, especially
with brain-derived nerve growth factor [BDNGF]. The following American
organizations may be able to help you locate trials in Australia:

The ALS Association (818-3407500)
Center for Neurologic Study (619-4555463)
Les Turner ALS Foundation (708-679-3311)
Norris ALS Research Center (415-7502398)

Lyn Frumkin, MD, PhD (neurology)