Caffeine Analogs

Eleusis eleusis at netcom.com
Sun Jun 25 09:31:00 EST 1995

In article <3sifis$2v2 at cello.gina.calstate.edu>,
   jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu (Jason Kennerly) wrote:

>In any case, Im not looking to make a mint on the black (or other) market
>or anything like that. Adenosine inhibitors probably aren't the best
>place to start for such things (grin)... I am just a curious caffeine
>afficionado...

Well you don't need to make excuses for me. I personally *love* my raging
out of control caffeine addicition. So what if I writhe on the floor in
agony if I don't get my fix within the first 15 minutes of non-delta
consciousness. That's life.

Anyway, a typical lab-scale preparation for caffeine is by the condensation
of cyanoacetic acid with urea. This would be a good route to screw around
with, it would appear, if one want to do some side chain substitution for
fun and profit.

|                 eleusis at netcom.com <jeff jenkins>                  |
|        /o\    Give me lava lamps or give me death...   /o\         |
|   "In constant pursuit of the perfect 'Stoli, soda and lime'..."   |