formaldehyde vs paraformaldehyde

William Sun william at neuro.usc.edu
Wed Jun 28 03:00:22 EST 1995

Hello all,

I am wondering about the difference between the above mentioned two compounds.
Our lab uses formulin (3.7% formaldehyde) to fix brains for histology.
However, when the brains are sectioned for immunohistochemistry, most protocols
call for 4% paraformaldehyde.  Is one preferable over the other?  Please reply
if you know the details.