Need a fixable fluorescent tracer in patch pipette. Suggestions?

Trent A. Basarsky tab at iastate.edu
Mon Jun 5 12:12:57 EST 1995

Hello,

I am doing some patch-clamp studies that require the subsequent labelling of
the cell that I was recording from.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to a
fluorescent molecule that I could include in my patch pipette that I can fix into
the cell at the end the experiment?  IT CAN NOT BE LUCIFER YELLOW, as I already have
a fluorophore of comparable excitation and emmission in the pipette.

I am looking at Cascade Blue, perhaps the hyrazide or amine derivative.  Does anyone
have any information / experience with using these probes in a non-conjugated manner?
I am concerned about cell viability with Cascade Blue in the pipette.  Alternatively
I could use any other marker that is spectrally isolated from fluorescein.

Thanks for any and all info.  E-mail preferred.

Trent A. Basarsky
(tab at iastate.edu)

Trent A. Basarsky                      Internet :  tab at iastate.edu
Dept. of Zoology and Genetics          Voice :  (515) 294-4054
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011