Microelectrodes for single-cell recordings in the rat spinal cord

Thomas W. Bluem tbluem at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jun 5 15:41:20 EST 1995

HELP ... HELP ... HELP ... HELP ...

Who has experience with combined techniques for extracellular recording
of single-cell spikes (in the rat spinal cord) and microiontophoretic
capability?
We use three-barrel glass microelectrodes: The barrel for recording is
filled with a 5% NaCl solution, the second one (used for iontophoresis)
is filled with a peptide and the third one is filled with a phosphate
buffer solution (for current balancing during iontophoresis). Our problem
is, that we can't find enough cells (at least in comparison to the number
of cells we found by means of a single-barrel glass microelectrode filled
with a 5% NaCl solution).
Experiments with three-barrel glass electrodes with a single carbon fibre
(7 micrometers in diameter) inserted into the recording barrel were not
very promissing: The resistance of the recording barrel varied between
values of 8 and 350 MOhm.
The construction of the microelectrode must not be too complicated,
because we have to build new ones weekley (due to the peptide's
instability).

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Yours
 Thomas W. Blüm

Department for anatomy and cellbiology of the University of Heidelberg,
Germany.