Memory disorders pt 2

Carmen N. Nichols sarnicol at reading.ac.uk
Thu Jun 8 08:46:36 EST 1995

Many thanks for the postings everyone.  Naturally Alzheimers is the
obvious choice but was not really what I was looking for.  As far as I
understand it memory loss is a secondary pathological effect in
Alzheimers.  What I am really looking for are diseases/syndromes in which
memory/disfunction is a primary lesion.  In particular I am interested in
perhaps rare syndromes in which there is evidence for lesions in signal
transduction mechanisms e.g. cAMP pathway, PKC, IP3 and the like.  If
there is a down regulation of one of these pathways it may be
developmentally compensated for but then again it may not be and memory
disfunction may be a primary effect.  Of course it may be lethal but if
there is a lesion in a hippocampal specific cyclase (there is evidence for a
striatal specific cyclase) then there may be a specific disease
phenotype.  Of course nothing like this may exist and I haven't found
anything but if such disorders exist then I sure would like to know.

Look foward to hearing from you all

Martin Cann

sarnicol at reading.ac.uk