alt. meth. of childbirth for sma patient?

Jennifer Malatesta gx041 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Thu Jun 8 08:31:38 EST 1995

hi.  i am a 25 year old with werdnig hoffman's disease (a form
of spinal muscular atrophy, covered by the muscular dystrophy
association).  my disease is fairly well progressed, but
despite this, i am happily married and am the mother of a 2
year old girl.

i am writing in the event i do become pregnant again.  the
actual pregnancy with my first child was smooth, however, i
had SEVERE complications during delivery.  i had to have a
general anesthetic because they could not do the standard
epideral, as i have had surgery to straighten scolosis when
i was sixteen.  to make a long story short, my throat was
damaged when i was intubated and i was on a respirator for
a month!  because of this, i am trying to avoid having
general anesthetics again.  if anyone can offer some advice
on alternative childbirth methods or anesthetics for
someone with sma, please email me.  any help or suggestions
will be appreciated!

thanks!

izzie