Barriers in Neuroscience?

Matt Jones jonesmat at ohsu.edu
Thu Jun 8 11:53:56 EST 1995

In article <3r5o4r$qed at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> jeffrey brown gabbard,
jbgabbar at ucs.indiana.edu writes:
>As for "educating the public about science", I have no answers, but I do
>have concerns. I saw a show on PBS about "scientific creationism". (a
REAL
>oxymoron) Anyway these people want to try and "prove" that the earth is
>only 6000 years old, evolution never occured, and the Grand Canyon was
>formed in a matter of weeks.  As if that isn't spooky enough, in some
>communities school boards are wanting to teach these ideas along side
>accepted scientific ideas.  How do you educate these people about
science?

IMVHO:
I think it's probably a good thing to teach these ideas (as well as
creation stories from non-western non-christian cultures) *along side*
accepted scientific ideas. As long as the accepted scientific ideas
(which may or may not be the correct ideas) aren't ignored, this policy
might give students a broader base of information to draw on in thinking
about scientific issues. Maybe holding up the book of Genesis or the Epic
of Gilgamesh next to the Origin of Species or A Brief History of Time is
a good way of illustrating the difference (or hypothetical difference)
between myth and science. It would probably make for a really interesting
course. The goal of science probably shouldn't be to suppress religion.
That wouldn't be any better than religion suppressing science, which
isn't any fun at all.

-Matt Jones