Barriers in Neuroscience?

quark eet at hopper.unh.edu
Fri Jun 9 14:59:49 EST 1995

In article <3r79v4$mcl at steele.ohsu.edu> Matt Jones <jonesmat at ohsu.edu> writes:
>In article <3r5o4r$qed at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> jeffrey brown gabbard,
>jbgabbar at ucs.indiana.edu writes:
>>As for "educating the public about science", I have no answers, but I do
>>have concerns. I saw a show on PBS about "scientific creationism". (a

>IMVHO:
>I think it's probably a good thing to teach these ideas (as well as
>creation stories from non-western non-christian cultures) *along side*
>accepted scientific ideas. As long as the accepted scientific ideas
>(which may or may not be the correct ideas) aren't ignored, this policy
>might give students a broader base of information to draw on in thinking
>about scientific issues. Maybe holding up the book of Genesis or the Epic
>of Gilgamesh next to the Origin of Species or A Brief History of Time is
>a good way of illustrating the difference (or hypothetical difference)
>between myth and science. It would probably make for a really interesting

But the Creationists want their model taught as an equally viable
SCIENTIFIC theory.  Usually evolution is ALREADY taught with a
kind of derogatory wink at the old belief in Genesis.

			      :
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-:  What is this "nothing", or that which
Eric Thomson		      :	 the sciences do not address?  Is it
eet at christa.unh.edu	      :  truly nothing, or is there something
University of New Hampshire   :  of interest to be found there?
	 philosophy is an investigation of nothing