Alternative to biopsy?

Shivakumar S. Nair SSN at neural.com
Wed Jun 21 18:04:33 EST 1995

Is there an alternative to a nerve biopsy to distinguish between mononeuritis
multiplex and demyelinating neuropathy? Both of these have been suggested as
the possibilities for the neurological illness that my mother is suffering
from, but nerve conduction studies/MRIs/EMGs have not yielded a conclusive
answer about the true nature of illness. Her weak condition makes a biopsy a
last resort.

If anybody has information on any other techniques / diagnostics that can be
used, could you pl. mail it to me? Or is a biopsy absolutely vital in this
case?

Thanks,
Shiv