Caffeine Analogs

Jason Kennerly jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
Thu Jun 22 15:20:48 EST 1995

Okeee.... I haven't heard anything from anyone, so the next thing to ask
is... any tips on SYNTHESIZING the caffeine analogs. Specifically I am
most interested in the ETHYL analog of caffeine - ETHYL-THEOPHYLLINE? Has
anyone made it, what procedures should be used for making it, what are
some likely byproducts, and most importantly, would ethyltheophylline be
more "theophylline-like" than caffeine or more "untheophylline like"??

I would probably start out at a 25mg dose if I tested it on myself. And
work my way up from there. Currently I am taking 200-400mg of caffeine
whenever I don't take Ritalin (caffeine is more fun but makes me hyper -
Ritalin is "therapeutic stuff" although I dont dislike it it makes me
dizzy when mixed with caffeine)

What would some expected differences between ethyltheophylline and
caffeine be? And from there I suppose I could try propyl, isopropyl,
tertbutyl, phenyl and benzyl derivatives of theophylline.

And what would the effects of substitution be at other N-sites??

    /    \ |      \|   /\   |     \   jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
  /___/\   \___|>   >       |__|>   > BORN TO BE WIRED...
 /         |       /   /\  |       /  All the sugar and twice the
 \_________|______/|___\/__|______/   caffeine of regular netusers!