interest for invertebrate neurosci newsgroup?

Deborah O'Dell dodell at s850.mwc.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:54:38 EST 1995

Michael A Kisley (kisley at blue.seas.upenn.edu) wrote:
> Carmen N. Nichols (sarnicol at reading.ac.uk) wrote:

> : On 18 Jun 1995, David Longley wrote:
> : > Even though I don't work in such afreas I'd very much like to see such a
> : > newsgroup. Some of the most informative work in neurocience has been some
> : > with invertebrates and I'd like to see it under one roof.
> : >
> : > David Longley

> I don't think that creating a new newsgroup is necessary given the very
> small volume that exists on this newsgroup.  I would rather suggest that
> bionet.neuroscience becomes moderated.  This would help to decrease the
> amount of posts by "laypeople" asking general questions about brain
> science.  Although I don't have anything against such posts, the charter
> for this newsgroup specifically states that it is reserved for researchers
> in neuroscience.  If the group became moderated, the research-oriented
> posts would stand out more, and perhaps the research community would
> invest more energy and attention in this group.  When I say "research"
> I certainly don't mean to exclude people such as clinicians and anyone
 else who is pursuing a field related in some way to neuroscience

	I have been following this newsgroup for a number of months now,
	and there hass been very little traffic until this past January.
	Most of the research topics have centered on vertebrate
	neuroscience.  I think that it is important that lay persons are
	able to get answers to their questions.  However, as a
	neuroscientist that works on invertebrates I would appreciate a
	forum in my area. Moderation may be the way to go, but then
	someone must be the moderator.  I would vote yes for a separate
	newsgroup simply because of the ease.

	Deborah  s