Caffeine Analogs

Jason Kennerly jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
Sat Jun 24 20:53:32 EST 1995

eleusis at netcom.com (Eleusis) writes:
> >Okeee.... I haven't heard anything from anyone, so the next thing to ask
> >is... any tips on SYNTHESIZING the caffeine analogs. Specifically I am
> >most interested in the ETHYL analog of caffeine - ETHYL-THEOPHYLLINE? Has

> Apparently, from my sundry references, there is little pharmocological
> difference in activity between "caffeine" and theophylline. The
> ethyl-group may very well deactivate the ring (acting as a protector
> group) so this might not be a worthwhile endeavor.

Caffeine seems to be more effective as a stimulant while having less
effects on the rest of the body at identical doses. That was pretty much
what I gathered. I am just curious whether there is an actual difference
in affinity for various things (adenosine receptor inhibiton vs. enzyme
inhibition) or merely an increased ability of caffeine to cross the
blood-brain barrier...

I found a reference on some "selective" adenosine inhibitors - I think
one was substituted at the 8 position with a cyclopentyl group. However,
the reference was a study where the drug mentioned was applied directly
to tissue and not injected or injested, so I do not know if the compound
is active orally (or even able to cross the BBB)

In any case, Im not looking to make a mint on the black (or other) market
or anything like that. Adenosine inhibitors probably aren't the best
place to start for such things (grin)... I am just a curious caffeine
afficionado...

    /    \ |      \|   /\   |     \   jkenner at cello.gina.calstate.edu
  /___/\   \___|>   >       |__|>   > BORN TO BE WIRED...
 /         |       /   /\  |       /  All the sugar and twice the
 \_________|______/|___\/__|______/   caffeine of regular netusers!