soccer and brain damage

Glynn Owens g.owens at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 27 16:24:59 EST 1995

In article <bilston.33.000E4287 at tiny.me.su.oz.au>, bilston at tiny.me.su.oz.au (Lynne E. Bilston) says:

>In article <3rsnq3$ldd at cronkite.seas.gwu.edu> nor at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Ronald Petrarca) writes:
>
>>     Does anyone know anything about the subtle brain injuries which
>>occur as a result of "heading" a soccer ball. I read something pertaining
>>to this subject a few years ago in a study of Norwegian soccer players.
>>How do the injuries occur? How well do the skull and cerebrospinal fluid
>>protect the brain from repeated yet minor blows to the head?
>>     I am very interested in this subject, and I would greatly appreciate
>>any help. Feel free to write as much as you like!!!!
>
>>               Ron Petrarca

Ron,

Don't know if your interest is specifically soccer, specifically impact damage
or general neurological risks of sport.  If the latter you may find interest
in a case report I published a few years ago in the International Journal
of Sports Medicine (I think) raising the possibility of brain damage in judo
players; at the time I ascribed this to an anoxic effect following repeated
strangulation, but one might want to make a case for impact injuries as well
following heavy falls?

Glynn Owens