Looking for supplier for neurorecorder

Gerry S. Oxford gsox at med.unc.edu
Thu Jun 29 07:46:08 EST 1995

stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI (Dag Stenberg) wrote:
>torsten jaehn-siebert (torsten at bio1.bio.th-darmstadt.de) wrote:
>} I am looking to buy a device that will store long recording sessions
>} (electrophysiological) on tape, along with other channels (voice, trigger
>} pulses etc.)  I have seen a videotape recorder (Neurorecorder?) that has been
>} adapted for this purpose, storing 8 channels of data for 6 or more hours.
>
>Why do you want a tape recorder? Why not a PC-based system, e.g.
>Cambridge Electronic Systems' 1401 with the Spike2 acquisition program?

>Dag Stenberg     MD PhD

There are good reasons to choose magnetic tape methods of
long term recording vs. direct computer "streaming" A/D
conversion (e.g. the CED system or AxoTape[TM]).  Both
systems have their merits.  On the side of the computer
acquisition, you have (1) more or less random access to the
data following an experiment, and (2) you do not have to
endure the time to "relive" the experiment during playback.
 However, the tape solution has one *major* advantage.
With the computer you generally must choose your analog
filter settings prior to the experiment as you get one, and
only one, chance to capture the data.  With tape you can
record at full bandwidth (usually 44kHz on the PCM devices)
and then play the tape back several times through analog
filters until you get your settings to a desired level for
the signal you wish to extract.  Of course, digital
filtering after the fact is possible, but the ease of use
of the tape devices is a bonus for many.  BTW, I noticed
that TEAC makes a nice multi-channel unit using 4mm DDS/DAT
tapes now.

Gerry Oxford
Professor of Physiology
University of North Carolina