EMS FOUL-UP IN CONNECTION WITH ANOXIA CASE IN SWEDEN

Joseph Peters Petersj at uthscsa.edu
Wed Jun 28 12:48:51 EST 1995

In Article <hce-2806952023030001 at pppnode8.bahnhof.se>, hce at bahnhof.se (Hans
Christian Eidenert) wrote:
>Re: EMS FOUL-UP IN CONNECTION WITH ANOXIA CASE IN SWEDEN
>

>1. How come an ambulance is automatically dispatched with first priority
>to a location when an automatic alarm (such as a firealarm) is put into
>action when these alarms usually turn out to be false alarms? Why should
>they not act on suspicions from relatives, friends, or neighbors where
>there is no reason why those suspicions should not be genuine? Is there no
>other safe way in which crank calls and false alarms could be discounted?

I can only speak for my City service and the services that I am familiar
with.  First, I am an Asst. Professor of Emergency Medical Technology -
I train Paramedics and dispatchers.  In our system, all firefighters
are trained to at least a Basic EMT level, so when they respond to an
alarm, there is emergency care instituted immediately.  Our dispatchers
can dispatch eother a fire truck or an ambulance, based on type of call,
proximity or availability of ambulances, and other factors.  We have an
enhanced 911 system that tells the dispatcher the location of the call,
who owns the telephone, and the address where that phone is located.
False alarm calls or crank calls are punishable by law.  It is safer
to dispatch first, and worry about the possibility of a crank or false
call later.  Dispatchers should react to calls such as this with a sense
of legitamacy and urgency, based on the information provided by the caller.

If the call is a crime of violence (homicide, suicide etc...) then police
are dispatched with EMS.  Firefighters are also dispatched for manpower,
especially with a possible suicide, as forced entry into a house or car
may be required.

>2. What is generally the educational and training requirement for
>ambulance personnel in other countries around the world especially in
>regard to dealing with cardiac arrests and subsequent breathing failure?
>

>3. How should an ambulance be equipped to be able to deal with such
>situations? Are most or all ambulances equipped to be able to handle such
>emergencies?

In San Antonio, Texas USA,  our ambulances are equipped to handle all
cardiac and respiratory emergencies.  The Paramedics are trained in
cardiology, pharmacology, advanced airway management (ET, NT, Trachs,etc...)