Project Syllabi - Internet Independent Scholars

Greg Tropea gtropea at oavax.csuchico.edu
Wed Mar 1 20:23:26 EST 1995

In article <199503012300.SAA20125 at asylum.sf.ca.us> Xochi Zen,
x at asylum.sf.ca.us writes:
>>          As I see it, the easiest way to accomodate all of
these people
>is to make syllabi available on-line for specific courses. The
rub is
>of course in obtaining the information and organizing it.
>
>          I don't know how realistic a goal it is to expect
professors
>to contribute their syllabi directly to me for inclusion in a
World Wide
>Web accessible database. Especially professors at Ivy League
institutions.
>Don't know, really. I've never asked any. I suspect that some
would be
>guarded and secretive about it and refuse. However, that
wouldn't stop
>students from coming forth and providing the information. I
don't intend
>to electronically publish full-text syllabi (that would
violate copyright
>laws), but I don't see how publishing lists of texts (in the
order in
>which they are assigned to students) used in specific courses
would present
>any legal problems. If you forsee any legal problems in what I
propose
>to do here, please contact me immediately.

The idea of providing serious reading lists is, I think, a good
one.  In the age of the infoglut, quality becomes ever more
elusive.  What better way to increase probability of picking a
winner than to get into the readings suggested by people whose
work must pass critical muster in their fields?  I've seen
syllabi already available here and there on the WWW, and we'll
have syllabi available on our WWW site at Cal State Univ, Chico
before too long.  Which leads me to a suggestion: instead of
trying to maintain a mountain of syllabi (intellectual
diversity is the prime directive on the Net), you might
maintain a list of URLs by subject or by school or whatever.
I've been working (slowly) on software for compiling and
distributing bibliographies and similar lists (in FoxPro) for a
few years.  The issues become enormous pretty quickly.