Culturing neurons and astrocytes

Simon McHattie SMCHATTI at
Fri Mar 3 06:17:58 EST 1995

I am a PhD student currently studying responses of astrocytes in
neurodegenerative disease. At present I am trying to design a
strategy of testing for astrocyte responses in vitro following the addition
of conditioned media from cultured neurons (most probably cerebellar
granule cells). I intend to use chemically defined media for both
astrocytes and neurons however I am worried that components in the
neuronal medium (Ham's F14 supplemented with progesterone, thyroxine
and tri-iodothyronine) may affect astrocytes in vitro thus
complicating interpretation of results. I would appreciate any
information and suggestions which may indicate the pitfalls of my

Simon McHattie
Dept. Veterinary Basic Sciences
Royal Veterinary College
London NW1 OTU