Refs for Lesbian Brains

Ruder Than You swallow at netaxs.com
Thu Mar 2 20:36:01 EST 1995

Dag Stenberg (stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI) wrote:
: Tara Marchand; (t_marcha at psych) wrote:
: } Hi.  I'm looking for references concerning differences in brain structure,
: } function, etc. between lesbian/bisexual women and straight women.  I've
: } found a few articles but think there might be more that I'm just not
: } locating.

: My feeling is that there is too little material available to be of any
: great help. Collecting brains from known lesbians with no other gross
: brain pathology may take some time, and somebody must have enough
: interest to make relevant morphological study.
:   As I remember, the material on male homosexuals is rather small, and
: the found differences minimal, plus the implications of these minimal
: differences are obscure and highly speculative. I refer to the autopsy
: studies revealing laterality differences in one of four minor hypothalamic
: nuclei without any certain function, where male heterosexuals differed
: from both females and male homosexuals. I think there were no lesbian
: females in that study, illustrating the difficulty to get material.
:   It would do no harm if I were wrong in this.

	Funny, I have never heard anything about any biological difference in
women, but I have read quite a bit about the difference in homosexual men.
	Steven LeVey a biologist, claims to have found a difference in the
brains of homosexual men.  The third institial nucleus, about the size of
the head of a pin, has been found to be smaller in the brains of gay men.
	While this may be true, it is still not accepted as a fact that
this is the cause or result of homosexuality.

--
HISTORY, n.  An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which
are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.
swallow at netaxs.com				  swallow at deeptht.armory.com