Refs for Lesbian Brains

Ruder Than You swallow at
Thu Mar 2 20:36:01 EST 1995

Dag Stenberg (stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI) wrote:
: Tara Marchand; (t_marcha at psych) wrote:
: } Hi.  I'm looking for references concerning differences in brain structure,
: } function, etc. between lesbian/bisexual women and straight women.  I've
: } found a few articles but think there might be more that I'm just not
: } locating.

: My feeling is that there is too little material available to be of any
: great help. Collecting brains from known lesbians with no other gross
: brain pathology may take some time, and somebody must have enough
: interest to make relevant morphological study.
:   As I remember, the material on male homosexuals is rather small, and
: the found differences minimal, plus the implications of these minimal
: differences are obscure and highly speculative. I refer to the autopsy
: studies revealing laterality differences in one of four minor hypothalamic
: nuclei without any certain function, where male heterosexuals differed
: from both females and male homosexuals. I think there were no lesbian
: females in that study, illustrating the difficulty to get material.
:   It would do no harm if I were wrong in this.

	Funny, I have never heard anything about any biological difference in
women, but I have read quite a bit about the difference in homosexual men.
	Steven LeVey a biologist, claims to have found a difference in the
brains of homosexual men.  The third institial nucleus, about the size of
the head of a pin, has been found to be smaller in the brains of gay men.
	While this may be true, it is still not accepted as a fact that
this is the cause or result of homosexuality.

HISTORY, n.  An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which
are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.
			_The Devil's Dictionary_
swallow at				  swallow at