method for partitioning into lobes?

Matthew Belmonte mkb4 at Cornell.EDU
Fri Mar 3 16:31:36 EST 1995

[Sorry if this is a repost; the original never appeared on my server so
I'm sending it again.]

I'm trying to find out if there is any canonical method of partitioning MR
images of the human brain into lobes.  Some divisions, such as the central
sulcus, the Sylvian fissure, and the parieto-occipital fissure, are relatively
obvious, but elsewhere, most notably in the area of the
temporal-parietal-occipital junction, the decision seems rather arbitrary.

The reason I ask is that I'd like to be able to quantify the volume of grey
matter within each lobe (I already have a segmentation program for separating
grey from white and CSF).

Matthew Belmonte  <mkb4 at Cornell.edu>  http://salk.edu/~matthew/