Acrylamide neurotoxicity

Mandy Johnstone udbl119 at bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 3 17:52:52 EST 1995

Hi folks,

I am intersted to find out how neurotoxic acrylamide actually is. I run
polyacrylamide gels all the time and know that it is nasty stuff and so always
handle it with utmost respect but it would be intersting to really know what
it does long-term to the nervous system and how much you really have to be
exposed to in terms of lethality. There was an intersting story in the Times
newspaper recently about a Biochemistry lecturer who had been slowly adding it
to his wifes coffee until she dropped into a coma from which she fortunately
recovered but I never discovered what the long term effects were. Many thanks
in advance.