Cocaine and Alzheimer's

K. Lee Koetzner KK2543A at american.edu
Mon Mar 6 14:04:42 EST 1995

In a previous article, someone asked,
> Why not treat Alzheimer's with cocaine, a known dopamine uptake inhibitor?
which drew a response to the effect of,
> If there aren't many dopaminergic terminals left, an uptake inhibitor won't h
ave much transmitter to work with.
(Sorry about the paraphrases, I accidentally deleted the original posts.)

It's true that there will be less dopamine release for the drug to "amplify", b
ut that does not rule the strategy out. In fact, the drug known as Cogentin (tm
) or as benztropine (generic) is a dopamine uptake inhibitor which has found so
me favor as a therapy for Alzheimer's. (Interestingly, the structure of the ben
ztropine molecule is rather similar to that of cocaine; however, it does not se
em to have anywhere near the abuse liability.)