peripheral nerve damage during inflammation

Daniel F. Bossut dfb at med.unc.edu
Sun Mar 5 21:45:56 EST 1995

In article <3j4ieo$hph at epsilon.qmw.ac.uk>,
Dr paul Mapp <p.mapp at lhmc.ac.uk> wrote:
>If anybody has any information regarding the existence or otherwise of
>data relating to the damage to periheral nerves by inflasmmatory
>appears to show that unmyelinated C fibres are particularly sensitive to
>damage leading to a possible dysregulation of the maintenace of vascular
>tone. Comments? Questions?

There is one or more studies by J. Sato et al. who have shown that
inflammation produces a newly acquired adrenergic sensitivity in C-fibers.
They presented posters about this at the last two Neuroscience meetings
but I am not sure wherther it was published.

This new adrenergic sensitivity is probably due to an upregulation of
cathecolaminergic alpha2 receptors as it has been demontrated after
peripheral nerve injury.

The dysregulation of the vasculature you have mentioned has been also
documented after partial peripheral injury and may be due to a decreased
sympathetic input to the region (sympathetic nerves travel with
sensory-motor nerves and are affected by the same injury).

I have not yet seen evidence for vasculature problem as a consequence of
C-fiber dammage. What is your basis to think in that direction?

Daniel Bossut
dfb at med.unc.edu