Bill's/facial palsy

Loren A. Evey lae2 at psu.edu
Mon Mar 6 16:29:41 EST 1995

In article <grueD4zBK0.3sK at netcom.com>, <grue at netcom.com> writes:
> Hello.  Can anyone can supply me with any information on this or
> give me pointers where I could get info?

Bell's palsy results from facial nerve damage.  Possible causes of damage
include parotid disease, facial nerve inflammation within the facial canal, or
acoustic neuroma at the internal auditory meatus.  The symptoms vary according
to site of damage.  All instances will involve weakness of facial musculature
on the affected side.  There is a thread on this group regarding peripheral
nerve damage.  You might benefit from following this thread.  The prognosis
varies according to the lesion site and surgical success if indicated.
Complete recovery (nerve regeneration) is possible.