Dr. YL Du yd128 at albnyvms.bitnet
Tue Mar 7 14:07:25 EST 1995

In article <3jdtmj$p0q at>, lisao at (Lisa Olson)

> Hi all ..
> I just had a quick question for all you pros out there ..
> If Parkinson's is caused by degeneration of certain
> dopaminergic neurons, and L-Dopa is given as a treatment ..
> why isn't cocaine being used as a treatment as well or
> as an alternative if cocaine prevents the reuptake of
> dopamine.  Wouldn't cocaine and L-Dopa cause the same
> thing?
Other posts certainly answer part of the question.  I think the other
reason to use L-DOPA instead of cocaine is that cocain causes both
addiction and physical dependence and L-DOPA does not.  Since L-DOPA is
the precursor of Dopamine, it will have less side effect compared to