Bill's/facial palsy

N. Vijayan nvvijayan at ucdavis.edu
Sun Mar 12 11:31:28 EST 1995

In article <dk_larson-0703951501020001 at dk_larson1.pnl.gov> dk_larson at pnl.gov (Darren K Larson) writes:
>From: dk_larson at pnl.gov (Darren K Larson)
>Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience
>Subject: Re: Bill's/facial palsy
>Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 15:01:02 -0800

>In article <grueD4zBK0.3sK at netcom.com>, grue at netcom.com wrote:

>> Hello.  Can anyone can supply me with any information on this or
>> give me pointers where I could get info?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Tom

>   I'd be very interested in the same kind of info.  (Bell's Palsy).

>   Thanks

>   Darren Larson
>   dk_larson at pnl.gov

Most patients with Bell's palsy is thought to have an inflammation of the
nerve and majority recover within several weeks completely or almost
completely. However other underlying serious problems responsible for the
weakness of the nerve should be ruled out. Diabete and high blood pressure
make one more susceptible. If there are no underlying diseases and this is the
usual form of Bell's palsy a short course of corticosteroids are recommended
to ensure full recovery. Your physician should be aware of this. This type of
treatment has to be started within the first 2-3 days for it to be effective.

N. Vijayan M.D.