pain centers?

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Mar 17 08:45:37 EST 1995

In article <199503161542.AA25682 at unf6.cis.unf.edu>, jander at UNF6.CIS.UNF.EDU ("Jo
hn Anderson ", CSHNL) writes:
>>   I think it is also important to recognize that pain can be lack of a signal
>>   that use to be there.  Phantom limb pain is a good example.
>>   Ron Blue
>
>Is phantom limb pain necessarily due to the _lack_ of a signal?
>Couldn't it also be due to the _presence_ of a signal located somewhat
>in from the periphery, that is interpreted as coming from the missing
>limb?
>
>John Anderson

>John E. Anderson, Ph.D.                             904-448-6286 (phone)
>9439 San Jose Boulevard #226                   anderson at cshl.org (email)
>Jacksonville, Florida 32257                  jander at unf6.unf.edu (email)

Excellant remark!  Yes, circles in circles with the first circle be the
real arm.  Once the real arm is gone other opponent signals now are allow
through resulting in the sensation of pain.  That pain message could be
blocked by creating a mild pain at the stub.  The mild signal would create
an opponent signal blocking the MAIN opponent signal created by the lack of an
arm signal.  Ron Blue