pain centers?

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Mar 17 08:54:27 EST 1995

In article <3k9o3g$71k at news.ycc.yale.edu>, jnilsen at minerva.cis.yale.edu (jnilsen
) writes:
>x011 at Lehigh.EDU wrote:
>: I think it is also important to recognize that pain can be lack of a signal
>: that use to be there.  Phantom limb pain is a good example.
>: Ron Blue
>
>Phantom limb isn't really lack of signal.  It's believed to be due to
>hyperactivity of dorsal horn neurons in the deafferented region of the
>spinal cord.  Ablation of these dorsal horn neurons (which would be lack
>of signal) often reduces the pain.
> LordOsis            But what is normal if we're always different?
>                     Does that mean that we're the same as one and
>                     one makes three a.m.-the witching hour of the dove?

The key word is OFTEN.  What if internal mental representations have been
wired in the nervous system.  Then it could be viewed like a positive and
a negative picture of the arm.  Really an excitatory/inhibitory neural
organization that represents the arm and its inversion.  When the arm
is cut off the inversion signal is free to express its self.  When there
is no balance in excitatory/inhibitory signals the inversion signal is
interpreted as pain.  Ablation of dorsal horn neurons may or may not
stop the inversion signal.
Ron Blue