acoustic "colors"

atdyw at imap2.asu.edu atdyw at imap2.asu.edu
Sat Mar 18 00:10:56 EST 1995

Michael A Kisley (kisley at blue.seas.upenn.edu) wrote:

: While doing an introductory review of the topic of echolocation in bats,
: I came across a very interesting idea in a 1990 review paper by G.
: Neuweiler:  the idea of echo "colors" in bat echolocation.  The general
: idea behind the use of the word "color" is that the bats might be
: analyzing the spectral patterns of the targets which are reflecting
: their broadband emissions.
<snip>

: 2)  Does anyone know of any good, and recent, papers on the topic of
:     general auditory "colors" or "Gestalt" (including the areas of
:     speech recognition and music-listening)?

I saw a book recently dealing with synesthesia. My interest was in
musicians who "hear" colors, and it may be related to your subject. The
notion of hearing colors by musicians has been around for several
centuries but general scientific study has apparently been sparse. You
may want to look for the following:

Cytonic, Richard E. (1989). SYNESTHESIA, A UNION OF THE SENSES. New York:
Springer-Verlag.

Cytonic, Richard E.,(1993) THE MAN WHO TASTED SHAPES: A BIZARRE MEDICAL
MYSTERY OFFERS REVOLUTIONARY INSIGHT INTO SYNESTHESIA. New York: Putnam.

--
Dan Wilson
Arizona State Univ. (West)