PALLIDOTOMY

roba at hubrecht.nl roba at hubrecht.nl
Tue Mar 21 02:10:18 EST 1995

Hi Len,

In our lab we have real good literature searchers, so here are
some references (most of them letters). If this is not exactly
what your searching for, you'll probably find the right refs in
these articles.

Here they are:

***

Ceballosbaumann,ao Obeso,ja Vitek,jl Delong,mr Bakay,r
Linazasoro,g Brooks,dj
Restoration of thalamocortical activity after posteroventral
pallidotomy in
parkinson's disease.
Lancet 344:8925(9 17 1994);814
LETTER
[No Abstract]

***

Blanchet,pj Boucher,r Bedard,pj
Excitotoxic lateral pallidotomy does not relieve l- dopa-induced
dyskinesia in
mptp parkinsonian monkeys.
Brain research 650:1(7 4 1994);32-39
DYSKINESIA GLOBUS PALLIDUS PALLIDOTOMY PARKINSONISM MPTP
LEVODOPA-INDUCED
DYSKINESIA GLOBUS-PALLIDUS SUBTHALAMIC NUCLEUS BASAL GANGLIA
KAINIC ACID 6-
HYDROXYDOPAMINE-LESIONED RATS STRIATOPALLIDAL NEURONS
STRIATONIGRAL NEURONS
RECEPTOR-BINDING SELECTIVE LESION
We attempted to relieve the marked overactivity known to occur
in the lateral
segment of the globus pallidus (gp(l)) in l-dopa-induced
dyskinesia (lid) by
unilateral stereotaxic ibotenic acid lesioning of the gp(l) in
4 monkeys with
mptp-induced parkinsonism. two already dyskinetic animals were
pallidotomized to
counteract lid once established, while 2 l-dopa-naive
mptp-treated animals were
pallidotomized before l-dopa was ever administered in an attempt
to prevent the
development of the process conducive to lid. acutely after the
lesion, more
prominent akinesia (particularly in the contralateral limbs) with
contraversive
body deviation and circling behavior were seen for 48 h. flexor
posturing of the
contralateral forelimb persisted to a variable degree. when
l-dopa treatment was
resumed or instituted 1 week postoperatively, ipsiversive
circling behavior
occurred in all animals and contralateral dyskinesia worsened in
3, whether
l-dopa or a selective dopamine d-2 agonist was administered.
lesions in these 3
cases were fairly restricted to the gp(l) histologically. one
monkey kept
l-dopa- naive before pallidotomy never developed lid
contralaterally to the
lesion despite treatment for several months. the lesion this time
involved the
entire gp. the fact that ablation of the gp(l) worsened lid
suggests that a
complex rearrangement of the balance of functional capacity
between the gp and
the subthalamic nucleus takes place in lid which is not amenable
to correction
merely by a lateral pallidotomy. our observations also suggest
that functional
redundancy exists in striatopallidal circuits and that no single
pathway is
responsible for lid.

***

Iacono,rp Lonser,rr
Reversal of parkinsons akinesia by pallidotomy - reply.
Lancet 343:8905(4 30 1994);1096
LETTER
[No Abstract]

***

Quinn,n
Reversal of parkinsons akinesia by pallidotomy.
Lancet 343:8905(4 30 1994);1095-1096
LETTER
[No Abstract]

***

Iacono,rp Lonser,rr
Reversal of parkinsons akinesia by pallidotomy.
Lancet 343:8894(2 12 1994);418-419
LETTER
[No Abstract]

***

Laitinen,lv
Posteroventral pallidotomy for parkinson's disease - reply.
Journal of neurosurgery; 77 (3) p488,sep 1992
[No Keywords]
[No Abstract]

***

Bakay,rae Delong,mr Vitek,jl
Posteroventral pallidotomy for parkinson's disease.
Journal of neurosurgery; 77 (3) p487-488,sep 1992
[No Keywords]
[No Abstract]

***

Laitinen,lv Bergenheim,at Hariz,mi
Leksell's posteroventral pallidotomy in the treatment of
parkinson's disease.
Journal of neurosurgery; 76 (1) p53-61,jan 1992
[No Keywords]
[No Abstract]

***

Well, let me know if this is what you expected.
I hope your sister is doing well,

greetings,
Rob Ameerun.
(roba at hubrecht.nl)