acoustic "colors"

atdyw at imap2.asu.edu atdyw at imap2.asu.edu
Mon Mar 20 16:03:24 EST 1995

Charles Lucy (clucy at cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:

: There was a documentary on BBC here recently (Horizon?) about
: synaesthesia based on the book which you mentioned.
: It seems that there is some form of "cross-talk" happening between
: adjacent pathways.
: I have a good friend in Hawaii, who sees different notes as colours.

Yes, I also hear colors, although it is not a fine as individual
frequencies. I hear chords as colors. Highly consonant chords tend to be
'heard' as primary colors, while increasing dissonance tends to mute the
colors. Also songs, because of their implied harmonies, tend to have
predominant colorings although certain passsages may lapse into transient
colorings.

--
Dan Wilson
Arizona State Univ. (West)