Brain Actuated Technologies

Thomas F Collura PhD. tom at ccfadm.eeg.ccf.org
Tue Mar 21 16:20:37 EST 1995

Brian Thiel/Lois Henry-Thiel (thielbl at primenet.com) wrote:
:
: >         From: tom at ccfadm.eeg.ccf.org (Thomas F Collura PhD.)
:
: > I am initiating a project where people will share design and other
: > information, for setting up their own PC-based EEG systems, and this
: > is one of the application areas.  The near-term goal is an under $200
: > system that works with Windows, to provide the basic functions.
:
: I am wondering about the $200 goal.  It seems to me that just the electrodes,
: cables and minimal amps before you get to the analog-digital signal processing
: would consume all the money.  What is the secret?
:
: --Brian
:

The HC11 EVBU microprocessor board with breadboard area is $120.  The IC's
for the front-end are about $40-$50.  That leaves $10-$20 for a battery
case and miscellaneous parts.  I didn't count electrodes, although
I am making some from saline-soaked sponge for about $5 each.

It is a two-channel system.  If you were thinking of 8 or 16 channels,
then definitely, it would be $20/channel for the amps alone.

I may have neglected the RS-232 cable, and one or two other things.

The Circuit Cellar HAL kit has about the same hardware, and is sold for
I think about $300 these days, which includes their markup.

So the $200 is aggressive but not unreasonable.

It does, however, assume a PC on hand.

Newer HC11 prototype boards are out there for $49 and $69, that I want
to evaluate.  That could get us well below the $200 mark.

-Tom Collura