Brain Actuated Technologies

Hypnotics hypnotics at aol.com
Tue Mar 21 22:16:08 EST 1995

Dear Tom,

I am most interested in the potential for PC-based EEG systems, though my
knowledge of the software and harware required to do this is so limited I
do not even know where to start.

I have been accepted for a Ph.D. program in Experimental Psychology at the
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and will begin this Fall.  I intend to
work with Dr. Joel Lubar in the area of biofeedback, but have always been
disconcerted by the need for expensive and complicated equipment, which
inherently restricts the widespread use of biofeedback.

I would love to see a PC-based system.  It seems ridiculous that such a
powerful system cannot be made available for the calculations needed for
biofeed back.  Indeed, personal computers already have the visual
(monitor) and auditory (sound card) channels necessary for feedback.

Without wishing to step on your toes, where can I learn about interfacing
computers with the sensors needed?  And where do you obtain all the
components?  What software do you use to read the sensors and display
relevant info?  (Is there any chance of me being able to work on such a
project without knowing this sort of information already?!)

I would be really greatful for any information or advice on the subject.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Grant