Kinesin/myosin in microtubules

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Mar 24 09:03:28 EST 1995

From: Rick Russell <rrussell at>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 95 19:04:29 PST
1:04 pm X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.3 PL2]
Robert McCloskey's _One Morning in Main_ is a charming story about a young girl
who looses her first tooth.  She runs around interpreting everything that she
sees in terms of her new experience.  Beautiful example of egocentrism.
Rick R.
Richard L. Russell           Santa Monica College      rrussell at
Behavioral Studies Dept.                                 (310) 450-5150 x 9705
Even adults have this problem.  Recently I read an article in Nature (February
23, 1995)  Pathway of processive ATP hydrolysis by kinesin by Gilbert, Webb,
Brune, and Johnson.  I am very interested in opponent-process.  Gilbert et al
reports that myosin and kinesin are binary switching in the microtubules.
These dimer actions I naturally see as opponent-process.  So the data curve
results in the classical values expected in the equation of the absolute
value of A process - B process equals the output.  The goal in opponent-process
is balance.  The data curve supports this with a ossilation of 50/50 hook up
of the myosin/kinesin system to the microtubules.  It is important to note
that there is considerable interest in the microtubules because the dimers
support quantum interactions and therefore the possibility exist for quantum
thought as suggested by Penrose and Hammeroff.
Ron Blue x011 at