schwanomma tumor

Robert Fink rafink at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 24 21:56:20 EST 1995

In <cmoore.10.000B6840 at julian.uwo.ca> cmoore at julian.uwo.ca (wmoore)
writes:

>My 43 year old brother was recently diagnosed with a Schwanomma
(Schwamonna?)
>tumor which is between 2 mucscles in his abdomen.  I've only been able
to find
>a bit of info on this.  Does anyone have any info?
>
>I know it is a benign tumor affecting his neurological system.
>
> Are there any known causes for this type of tumor?
>Once he is operated on will there be any further complications?
>
> Any other treatments available besides surgery?
>
>Would heavy drinking and drug abuse lead to this?
>
>Thanks
>wmoore

A schwannoma is a (usually) benign tumor of a nerve sheath.  They can
occur on any nerve.  Some are quite serious, such as when they grow on a
cranial nerve and behave as a brain tumor, or within the spinal canal
and press on nerves and the spinal cord.

There is a condition, called Multiple Neurofibromatosis, or von
Recklinghausen's Disease, which is a hereditary condition where multiple
schwannomas occur on multiple nerves (including inside the cranium and
spine), and is also associated with other kinds of tumors as well as
skin lesions.  The "Elephant Man" had this condition.  It is passed
genetically and can be anything from a mild condition to a fatal
disease.

If someone has a verified schwannoma, they should be checked for
neurofibromatosis; otherwise, the solitary tumor, if it is causing any
trouble, should be surgically removed.  Hope this helps.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.     Phone:  510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery                FAX:  510-849-2557

Internet:  rafink at ix.netcom.com
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink            "Ex Tristitia Virtus"