Diff between Neuroscience and Psychobiology

Rob Douglas rdouglas at mckellar.com
Wed May 3 04:34:14 EST 1995

In article <3o5ton$cql at acmex.gatech.edu> Shelli Heather Godfrey,
gt7447a at prism.gatech.edu writes:
>What is the difference between neuroscience and psychobiology?  My sister
>will be going to graduate school in neuroscience but I thought these two
>were the same...HELP!

Shelli,
I haven't been too sure myself.  At one time or other you could have
described my field as:
(a) physiological psychology
(b) biopsychology
(c) psychobiology
(d) neurophysiology
(e) neuroscience
(f) other...

You might like to think of "psychobiology" as being part of Neuroscience,
but I wouldn't take the names too seriously as there may be historical
reasons at any one university for what a particular program is called.
Many universities have not yet formed separate Neuroscience departments
and so neuroscience groups have grown up in different departments under a
variety of disguises. However you will find that most psychobiology
programs are part of strong psychology departments and they tend to have
a stronger focus on behaviour than you will find in Neuroscience
departments.

-Rob

Robert M. Douglas         rdouglas at mckellar.com
douglas at org.ecc.ubc.ca
Department of Ophthalmology                      University of British
Columbia