Psychobiology Texts (Was Re: Diff between Neuroscience and Psychobiology)

Troy Volin tvolin at acpub.duke.edu
Fri May 5 13:25:53 EST 1995

In article <3odld2$kvu at engnews2.Eng.Sun.COM>, Will Nelson writes:

> Are there any good texts that concentrate on the behavioral side of
> things, in what I will call physiological psychology, which I suspect
> is pretty close to psychobiology? Emphasis should be on hunger,
thirst,
> reward, sleep, behavioral psychopharmacology, etc.

I've enjoyed two rather recent books.  Biopsychology by Pinel (e-mail me
if that's not enough to find you the book), and An Introduction to
Behavioral Endocrinology by Randy Nelson (Sinauer: Sunderland,
Massachussets, 1995).  Also, Behavioral Endocrinology, edited by Jill
Backer, S. Marc Breedlove, and David Crews (MIT Press, 1992).  The
chapters in the latter book are written by a variety of real hotshots in
the field (Sapolsky, etc.).  The first book is not restricted to
endocrinology.  But I like behavioral endocrinology, so you'll have to
suffer the bias in my list!

Enjoy!

-Troy

   From:  tvolin at acpub.duke.edu  |  "Water?  Never drink it.
    Troy Volin                   |  Fish [copulate] in it."
    Box 97076 ~ Durham NC, 27708 |    - W.C. Fields