Looking for school based research studies on EEG Neurofeedback for ADDHD

Brian Thiel/Lois Henry-Thiel thielbl at primenet.com
Fri May 5 08:13:54 EST 1995

richmond at tiac.net (Peter J. Richmond) wrote:

>I work as a special ed teacher in CT.  I am impressed with the recent
>developments in EEG Neurofeedback for the treatment of ADD/ADDHD.  I am
>interested in training in this type of work.  However, I am unclear as to
>whether educators are doing this type of work, in conjunction with medical
>professionals.  Has the EEG Neurofeedback field grown to this point?

I don't recall any mention of a 'school setting'  use of neurofeedback
during the recent 4-day annual meetings of the Society for the Study
of Neuronal Regulation (SSNR.)  I think it is safe to say there is a
consensus that neurofeedback training is probably useful for training
to improve one's self-performance in almost any area of human
endeavor.  But studies need to be done...!!  Lots of opportunity for
nascent scientists in this field.

>I am also looking for some research based studies showing the
>effectiveness of EEG Neurofeedback for  ADDHD/ADD children in public
>schools.

One thing that comes to mind at the moment is a new article by Troy
Janzen, Ken Graap, Stephan Stephanson, Wilma Marshall, and George
Fitzsimmons, "Differences in Baseline EEG Measures for ADD and
Normally Achieving Preadolescent Males" which appeared in Biofeedback
and Self-Regulation, Vol. 20, No. 1, 1995, pp. 65-82.

There is a big gap in the research about EEG measurement during normal
functioning.  An example is the dearth of data on the measurements of
'normal' brain activity while performing typical cognitive tasks. This
study, done in Calgary, Alberta, was intended to be a beginning point
for building a baseline for both those with ADD and for those without.
Sixteen 9-12 year old boys were studied, 8 with ADD but not
hyperactive and 8 controls without ADD. ADD diagnoses were based on
SSM-III-R.

--Brian