help!! oscillating systems (reflex loops)

x011 at Lehigh.EDU x011 at Lehigh.EDU
Fri May 5 07:51:22 EST 1995

In article <3ocalq$nh at harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au>, harvsta at its-science.cc.monash
.edu.au (mike harvey) writes:
>HELP!!!!!!
>I am currently doing a PhD and cannot find anything that adequately
> and simply explains the biophysics of oscillating systems, such as
> the spinal reflex or long loop reflex. I do not understand the concept
> of reflex loop GAIN, STABILITY, etc.. and how they influence the amplitude
> and frequency of an oscillation. I would appreciate any information that
> might lead me to a useful book or reference (as simple as possible since
> I am not an engineer or mathematician).
>
>Reply either by e-mail or the net,
>                               Thanks,
>                                       Michael Harvey.

Correlational opponent-processing may interest you.  It is build around
the concept of wavelets, eigenfunctional equivalence, and oscillations.
I can email a 78k file to you.  Enclosed is an abstract.  Ron Blue
x011 at lehigh.edu
Abstract:

The correlational opponent-processing theory is a neuro homeostasis
integration psychological immune theory that would connect phenomena
such as sensation, perception, movement, habituation, memory,
representations, learning, cognition, personality, psychopathology,
paradoxical integration, emotion, and evolution of the mind under a
unified theory.

Perception/learning/cognition may be viewed as an effort to assimilate
and accommodate all experience into neuro-energy-efficient
eigenfunctional equivalence or quasi-holographic correlational
opponent-processing recordings.

Stimuli causes brain wave modulations which interact with carrier or
reference wavelets.  This interaction creates a quasi-holographic
stimulus wavelet.  The opponent-process creates an opposing quasi-
holographic memory wavelet.  Through this process the correlations or
associations of experience are encoded to memory.  Every wavelet,
regardless of source or type, triggers an opposing wavelet.  The
function of the opposing wavelet or feedback is to diminish the
intensity of neural processing.  A wavelet potential is stored or hard
wired as long-term potentiation opponent-processes in nerve cells and
the interconnections between nerve cells.  The wavelets are quasi-
holographic and allow recovery of information due to the interaction of
reference carrier wavelets and stimuli, thought, motor movement, and
emotional arousal.

Outline:
       Discussion
       Neuro Net
       Quasi-holographic wavelets
       Habituation/immunization
       Memory
       Representations, copies or models
       Learning/Cognition
       Personality
       Sensations and Perceptions
       Movement
       Emotion
       Evolution
       Tools
       Implications
       Conclusion and applications from COP theory
            Discorrelation
            Education
            Biophysical
            Intelligence