Psychobiology Texts (Was Re: Diff between Neuroscience and Psychobiology)

James Blackburn blackbur at mcmail2.cis.McMaster.CA
Mon May 8 13:38:19 EST 1995

In article <3odld2$kvu at engnews2.eng.sun.com>,
Will Nelson <wnelson at Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:

>There was a thread in this group recently that asked for recommendations
>about good textbooks in neuroscience. I'm plowing through "From Neuron
>to Brain" right now, and wow, a lot has happened in the thirteen years
>since I changed careers! But on the other hand, it stops short of
>the stuff that I'm really interested in, which is behavior.
>
>Are there any good texts that concentrate on the behavioral side of
>things, in what I will call physiological psychology, which I suspect
>is pretty close to psychobiology? Emphasis should be on hunger, thirst,
>reward, sleep, behavioral psychopharmacology, etc.

   The most widely used psychobiology texts around are _Biopsychology_,
by J.P.J. Pinel, and _Physiology of Behavior_ by N.R. Carlson.  Both
have fairly extensive coverage of behaviour.
   For a more neuroscience-oriented text, I was using Dowling's "From
Neurons to Networks" but am gleefully discarding it for next year in
favour of _Essentials of Neural Sceince and Behavior_ by E.R. Kandel,
J.H. Schwartz, and T.M. Jessell.  (It's the undergrad version of Kandel
and Schwartz's classic _Principles of Neural Science_.)  The title is
somewhat misleading, this is a neuroscience text, the coverage of
behaviour is rather limited though of generally high calibre.  It does
have extensive coverages of sensory physiology (the only area that both
psychobiology and neuroscience texts always seem to cover in
more-than-enough detail).  My biggest problems with it are its
insufficient coverage of research methodology (Pinel's text has an
excellent chapter on how to relate brain to behaviour) and its relatively
superficial coverage of gross neuroanatomy.

Jim Blackburn
blackbur at mcmail.mcmaster.ca
FAX (905) 529-6225