employment in spain?

falvarez at desire.wright.edu falvarez at desire.wright.edu
Wed May 10 12:44:54 EST 1995

In article <3oor6h$5i7 at netnews.upenn.edu> zilberst at mail2.sas.upenn.edu (Jeff Zilberstein) writes:
>From: zilberst at mail2.sas.upenn.edu (Jeff Zilberstein)
>Subject: employment in spain?
>Date: 9 May 1995 22:43:29 GMT

>        I will be in spain in the next few months, and will have
>graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a major in
>neuroscience.  Does anyone have any knowledge of opportunities in Spain
>related to biomedical research?  I would appreciate any and all help.  My
>email is zilberst at mail.sas.upenn.edu.  Thanks in advance.

>Jeff Zilberstein

The most prominent Neuroscience Institute in Spain is the Cajal Institute
located in Madrid. Is part of the C.S.I.C., this is the grouping of
govermental research institutions. Is not very big but a lot of high quality
research is done in there. There are also important Neuroscience
Departments/Units in many Universities. The most active and with more active
research groups are in Madrid, Barcelona, Seville and Alicante (I hope I
don't miss any big one). There are also interesting research groups here and
there and you can find one in most of the big universities. However these guys
(particularly in Universities, and in particular their students, and postdocs)
work in heroic conditions with very little funding and although labs are most
often in very good conditions (equipment, facilities....) there is very little
money for contracting pre-PhD labor being all in the form of individual and
personal govermental fellowships for doing a PhD. I may be wrong but most
likely they will not be able to help you if you expect something either formal
or a salary for a short period of time. The Spanish system is unfortuantely
arterioscleorotic (like our governing class) and those not have the
flexibility of the U.S. system. However, if you can get
a fellowship in the US for Europe almost everybody will take you. Then shoot
for the best. If you are in Madrid go to the Cajal. Probably is a personal
bias, I started there :). I bet you will enjoy it. If you are interested Email
me for some adresses.
Good luck.
Francisco J. Alvarez
Wright State University