Ketamine/Xylazine dose for rats?

Kate Jeffery kate at
Mon May 22 06:14:52 EST 1995

In article 5q7 at, Allison_F._Treloar at
(Allison Treloar) writes:
> The best rodent anesthesia I have ever used is Isoflurane inhaled
> anesthetic!

I agree. We use this too and it is wonderful. We also add nitrous oxide
to get better analgesia. However, isoflurane is horrendously expensive
and a long operation can set you back several tens of pounds/dollars.

As for the light/dark cycle thing, there are known circadian influences
on anaesthesia requirements. People with afternoon dentist's appointments
apparently need significantly more pain relief (I don't have a ref. for
this offhand but could probably find one). It's interesting that rats possibly
show this effect too.

Kate Jeffery
kate at