Grad Studies/Postdoctoral Training Available

Crwydryn crwydryn at aol.com
Tue May 23 01:27:36 EST 1995

Well, yes, but if you simplify the way you describe what you do, maybe
more people would be interested, even if they don't want to know the
details.  For my undergraduate thesis project (I plan to go to grad school
when my husband gets out of the Army) I studied the effects of caffiene on
Event-Related Potentials.  Most people, but particularly the
scientifically clueless, if I said something like that to them, their eyes
would start to glaze over, and they would quickly change the subject.  I
would have been too obtuse for them.  However, if I said I was studying
the effects of coffee on a kind of brainwave, they could relate to that.
It fit into their world, and therefore was much more interesting.
Granted, that is a massive simplification.  But we don't start out
teaching preschoolers to do calculus.  Why should we start out by tossing
unintelligible jargon at the lay public?

                                                       *the Sourceress*