Neuromagnetometer (sp?) and Picture Naming

Jyrki Tuomainen jyrtuoma at utu.fi
Wed May 24 01:33:44 EST 1995

clark at uwpg02.uwinnipeg.ca (Jim Clark) writes:

>study.  Can anyone provide a person's name or ideally even a reference to the
>work?  My impression was that the device was a by-product of physics work to
>achieve a minimal possible temperature (a few billionths of a degree above
>absolute zero?).

The method is magnetoencephalography (MEG), and the work you described
was done in the Cold Temperature Lab in Otaniemi (Helsinki University
of Technology, Espoo, Finland).
They have a 122 channel Neuromag device... The reference you are
looking for is: Salmelin, R., Hari, R., Lounasmaa, O: & Sams, R. (1994)
Dynamics of brain activation during picture naming. Nature, 368, 463-465.
hope this helps,

Jyrki Tuomainen
University of Turku
Department of Neurology