teaching neuro to kids

Joseph Robinson josephro at gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca
Fri May 26 02:38:53 EST 1995

I think, if it's feasible, a good way inspire interest would be to offer
several avenues of interest.  For example, if you could do separate
presentations (if only in the form of posters, or something) on subjects
such as:

	sensation - visual or otherwise.
		    e.g., optical illusions; gicky, slimy stuff
		    to stick one's hands in; the artichoke effect, and
		    demonstrations of how peanuts are yummy with chocolate
		    while toothpaste is pretty horrid after orange juice
		    (I participated in this latter one personally at my
		    university.  Gross, but effective); demonstrating
		    problems localizing sound with one's eyes closed.

	motor -     all the reflexes you can think of; spinning people
		    around to demonstrate vestibular input; a diagram
		    of a homunculus (always good for a giggle); demon-
		    strations of genetically endowed differences in
		    movement (like the dominant ability to curl one's
		    tongue) with an explanation as to why; balancing
		    on one leg when somebody shoves you.

	cognition - anything to do with emotional response; *maybe*
		    some stuff on 'male-female differences' (sic), with
		    demonstrations of things most guys/girls typically
		    do differently; memory games; films about people
		    with different cognitive disorders (some are really
		    amazing); artificial intelligence.

Etc, etc.  Obviously the range of possibilities is overwhelming.  I just
encourage you to have something for everyone, because once their interest
is inspired, an explanation of neuron will take you a long way.

Anyhow, good luck!

- Hannah Pazderka-Robinson