Urgent Help Needed!!!

khan%sdnpk.undp.org at sdnhq.undp.org khan%sdnpk.undp.org at sdnhq.undp.org
Fri May 26 20:12:56 EST 1995

Hello,

I am posting this message on this group for want of a more appropriate
forum known to me. Please post it on any other more relevant
newsgroup/conference. This is URGENT!!!

I am a male (Ht. 6'-4", Wt. 190 lbs, Age 43 yrs) suffering from motor
neuropathy of uncertain etiology which started in June 1992. The symptoms
are the following:

- Severe power loss and muscle wasting in lower limbs with complete foot
drop. Can't walk without braces and physical support.

- Upper limbs also affected but strength levels still 80-90% of the normal.

- Throat and speech muscles have also been affected for the last 8 months.

- No noticeable sensory loss, neither any loss of muscle command or
stiffness.

- Suffering from marginal indigestion and malabsorption for the last 8
years. During normal functioning of the stomach for a few days, strength
builds up and muscle twitching and fasciculation subside dramatically.
But such a condition doesn't prolong for more than a few days.

Several relevant tests have been conducted. Those like ANF, RA factor
have been negative.

The following tests have been within normal limits:

o Serum Folate/B12 levels.
o Thyroid studes.
o Protein Electrophoresis.
o Blood sugar.
o Blood CP and Urine RE.
o Antibodies' levels and lumber fluid proteins.

Nerve conduction study reveals slow velocity (lower and upper limbs) and
prolonged muscle action potential. EMG shows positive sharp waves
fibrillation.

I have had two treatments of Gamma Immunoglobin, eight Plasmapheresis and
steroids but to no effect. However after plasmapheresis, I feel a little
stronger for a day or two.

Would request neurologists to suggest further course of action. Patients
who have recovered from a similar disease may kindly intimate the
treatment that helped them recover.

Since we don't get these newsfeeds, please respond through personal email
only. Also, please note that I have to pay for the incoming email as well.
Would request you to be concise.

Thanks.

M. N. Khan,
House # 190 A, Phase 1,
Lahore Cantt. Cooperative Housing Society,
Lahore, Pakistan.

Phone: 92-5921-30935
Fax:   92-5921-30934