LTP in hippocampus

Kevin Hellman kevin at gaba
Wed Nov 1 12:08:07 EST 1995

>   I was wondering if anyone can give me any sources or any information
>   on LTP in the hippocampus. I just want to first, get an overview of such
>    a phenomena, which I hope can then allow me to delve into the subject
>   matter a bit more deeply.
>
>   Thanking you in advance,
>
>   John B.

I have attached some citations... Although, I am not an experienced
physiologist, I am skeptical about the role ltp in the hippocampus.
The paradigms used require an unusual amount of stimulation.  LTP
might be a form of learning, but is it really the form of learning
we use in our hippocampus ?

KALMAN HELLMAN	       kalman at head.neurology.wisc.edu
LAB: (608)-265-5343    V.A. Hospital Madison, Wi
                       Department of Neurology

@/usr/local/src/local/papers/papers17.bib:article{ncnaughton93,
  author = 	"McNaughton, B",
  title = 	"The Mechanism of Expression of Long-Term Enhancement
		  of Hippocampal Synapses",
  journal = 	"Annual Rev. Physiol",
  year = 	"1993",
  volume = 	"55",
  pages = 	"375-96",
  note = 	"1784",
}

@/usr/local/src/local/papers/papers15.bib:article{mcnaughton93,
  author = 	"McNaughton, B",
  title = 	"The Mechanism of Expression of Long-Term Enhancement
		  Of Hippocampal Synapses: Current Issues and
		  Theoretical Implications",
  journal = 	"Ann Rev Physiol",
  year = 	"1993",
  volume = 	"55",
  pages = 	"375-396",,
  note = 	"1532",
}
@/usr/local/src/local/papers/papers0.bib:Article{mcnaughton87,
  author = 	"McNaughton, B., and Morris, R.",
  title = 	"Hippocampal Synaptic Enhancement and Information
		 Storage Within a Distributed Memory System",
  journal = 	"Trends in Neuroscience",
  year = 	"1987",
  volume = 	"10",
  pages = 	"408-415",